x !
Arkistoitu opetusohjelma 2012–2013
Selaat vanhentunutta opetusohjelmaa. Voimassa olevan opetusohjelman löydät täältä.
BIO4240 Structural Bioinformatics - Web-based 4 ECTS
Period I Period II Period II Period IV
Language of instruction
Type or level of studies
Advanced studies
Course unit descriptions in the curriculum
Master's Degree Programme in Bioinformatics
Institute of Biomedical Technology

Learning outcomes

After completing Stuctural Bioinformatics, the student has a solid background in structure-related bioinformatics. The theoretical background enables starting actual protein modeling. The student can describe limits of usability of protein models, both in the case of experiment-based and theoretical models, and can use various tools to evaluate the quality of such models. He/she can use molecular graphics software to prepare publication-quality images.

General description

The web-based form of this course is a backup plan in case you cannot take the live course in period IV.

Enrolment for University Studies


Martti Tolvanen, Teacher responsible

Homepage URL


Independent work 80 hours Web-based


Numeric 1-5.

Evaluation criteria

Completing all obligatory assignments in your learning diary earns you 20% of the total score. Another 20 % can be earned for reflective and analytical writing in your learning diary. Optional problems/mini projects can earn you a further 40%, and the final 20% comes from Moodle activity. For "points" of Moodle activity, you can either start relevant discussions in the Moodle forums (for example, by sharing reports of analyses or mini projects you have completed), contribute meaningful comments/answers in a discussion, provide suggestions for new topics or resources for the course.

Further information

Course exam on Tuesday 14th May 2013 at 12-15 in computer classroom ML74, FM1.